Thursday, June 7, 2007

i covered all the angles...i think

My air conditioner is roaring. It's flippin' humid outside and my little air conditioner is doing its best to keep the humidity inside to a minimum. So I'm sitting here with my roaring air conditioner trying to focus on what I can write about today.

I know, 2 days in a row??? Wowzer.

I looked for a birthday card for my sister today but didn't find anything that fit our relationship. I felt slightly guilty as I walked away from the card aisle after spending nearly 45 minutes looking for a card. Even as I walked away I wasn't totally convinced that there wasn't a decent one in there, but I just had to give up. Amongst all the cards for either a sister, friend or other female I found 4 recurring themes throughout. 1) Getting old, 2) Indulging, 3) Sexual connotations, 4) Extreme sappiness.

1) Getting Old: She's not old. These cards are not remotely funny if you're 23 and the birthday girl is turning 19
2) Indulging: Sure, who doesn't love a little indulgence every once in a while. Chocolate, shoes, massages, too much cake...but I don't feel that I need her birthday card to tell her that. I love indulging even when it's not by birthday.
3) Sexual connotations. Ok, some of these are funny, but far too tacky in this situation. I just imagine my grandma running across it :S
4) Extreme sappiness. Yes, i love my sister. Even more now that I live 500 miles away. But the sappiness in the cards I found today should be reserved for when we're middle age. I'm not opposed to sappiness in it's entirety, but it has to be the right kid of sappy. A hip sappy. Because my sister and I, we're hip.

That being said, I decided that I'm just going to have to make her a card myself. I think I'll include a little story about my card-shopping experience much like the one I just told here :O

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like when you blog...See you soon!

Becca said...

you'd think someone who has been at home sick most of the week would at least have a little time to update your blog :)