Saturday, October 27, 2007

don't tell my mom.

I've lived in chicago for a total of 20 months, and last night i had my first first-hand experience with a pick pocketer. When i think about it long enough i get worked up about it and upset at how i did and did not react. but when it happened it was the weirdest feeling and happened so fast that i didn't have time to comprehend what was going on.

I was walking to the El from work, as I do every day after work, on a really busy main road. I had just crossed an intersection and was walking under some construction scafolding (but was still very visible to all the cars driving past), when i felt something touching my butt. i first thought nothing of it because, i mean, i always have things touching my butt....no, jk, i just thought my bag had swung and grazed my hind end. but when i kept feeling something i turned around and saw this guy really close to me start to half jog/half run in the other direction. i was like, what? was he just grabbing my butt?? no, oh my gosh, was he picking my pocket!?! i yelled 'hey!' at him (in a very confused, angry voice) and started walking/jogging after him. i didn't get too far before i stopped to think through what had just happened. i had put some cash, my ID and my debit card in my back pocket at lunch so that i wouldn't have to carry my bag. I reached back and realized i still had my ID and my debit card, though the two $10 bills were gone.

now what? I knew it wasn't worth chasing the guy down for $20, even though i wanted to. who knows what could have happened. it could have gotten a lot worse for me, he could have been crazy. I emptied the rest of my pockets and threw the contents into the bottom of my bag. feeling completely violated, i decided to continue to the El asap and just get home. now that i think about it, i wish i would have told someone at the El station or reported it or, i dunno....what are you supposed to do? call the cops? i mean, seriously? it was only $20. if he had stolen my ID and my debit card, yeah, i definitely would have told someone. But yeah, now i wish i would have told someone anyway. What gives that jerk off the right to get away with this so easy? he's gunna keep doing it if there are more people like me (and i'm sure there are) who just let it fly.

I do feel incredibly fortunate that this guy was only after my measly $20 and was non-violent as far as i could tell. i'm gunna go buy some mace right now and hold it in my hand at all times (probably not), so if it ever happens again at least i can make the guy suffer.

2 comments:

Tara & Dave said...

I read this blog before your ipod blog and I was originally going to write, at least it wasn't your ipod that he stole, but now it sounds like that might have been a burden off your hands. Anyways, I just want to say I read an article about how theifs like to target ipods, so be careful when and where you listen to your ipod with the distinctive white ear buds. Love ya.

sarah said...

yeah, i'm not going to listen to it when i'm walking around anymore. i can't hear anyone or anything coming up behind me when i do.