Friday, May 28, 2010

Four Years

This coming holiday weekend marks the fourth anniversary of my move to Chicago. In May 2006, I was fresh out of undergrad, a shiny new art degree in hand and confident that I had no idea what I was getting myself into. In the past four years I have experienced and learned many amazing things about myself, my career, and what it means to grow up. There have been good times and bad times. Friendships that came and went, new relationships begun, loved ones who entered the world and some who left it.

I'm now 26. And, save for a few things that could be better, I love my life. I love my career and my city. I love my new friends and old friends. I love my upbringing and I love my values. And more than anything, I love and appreciate my family. I know that there are a lot of people who are blessed to grow up and grow old in the same community their entire life, but for me personally, I have been blessed to grow up and then grow up even more in completely different communities.

Thank you to my family and friends for the support you have given me in the past four years. I know things haven't been perfect, but it's been a journey I'm happy to have made knowing you're there.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I hear you--I loved growing up in Sioux Center, but it's been really good for me to establish myself in another community far from home. Now I can have 2 homes!

Sarah said...

so lucky to have met you in this fine city.
i didn't know you before your move, but i must say, you're one of the finest :)