Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Today the weather people predicted storms. Horrible thunderstorms capable of producing large hail and damaging winds. I have yet to see the product of such storms, though I'm incredibly anxious for it to happen. So far all I've experienced today is humidity. Humidity at such a high percentage that even thinking of turning off the air conditioner makes me sweat. And because I'm on a budget and feel guilty running the air conditioner non-stop, that's what I'm doing. Sitting in my apartment, in the heat, air conditioner off, writing on this blog.

Other than the crappy weather predictions and the heat, I had a good day. Work is moving along at a steady pace, and I'm beginning to understand the way things need to be done in order to get this exhibit finished on time. The exhibit is set to open March 9, 2007 (my birthday), though the original schedule/plan was for it to open in May of '07. Then the president of the Field Museum decided we needed it to be be open sooner. Therefore, the schedule and work load was compressed, and we lost two incredibly critical months of production. Combine that with the fact that the head graphic designer on the project left for a 2 week vacation just 3 days after I started, and you end up with a whole ton of work to do, in a short period of time. March of '07 may seem like a long ways away, but in exhibit production terms, it's not much.

Last week a group of Field Museum designers, myself included, took a 'Field trip' to visit our friends at the Musem of Science and Industry. We got to see their U-505 sub from WWII, the Leonardo da Vinci exhibit, and other miscellaneous exhibits. It was an interesting experience. At one point when the design director of the Museum of Science and Industry was talking to us, I had a hard time believing where I was. I felt very honored to be with the group of people I was with, most of them quite a bit older than me, and very, very intellegent. My co-workers refer to me as the girl who just graduated from college. I'm not sure if that's a good thing in their mind, but for me, I'm pretty thankful to be where I am, so they can call me whatever they want.

Well, it's still not storming outside so I think I'll go for a walk.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

HI! I'm soooooooo PROUD of you! You're a big time graphic designer! I miss you and can't wait until August! I'm going to send you an email very very soon..after I get done writing this!