Sunday, December 17, 2006

whoop whoop, who needs an update?

So, a couple updates about the past week. Ahem.

Wednesday: Field Museum Christmas party following an announcement to beat all announcements: Christmas bonuses for all full time employees (myself included) to the amount almost equivelent to my monthly rent. That's something to celebrate considering extra cash is always welcome as far as I'm concerned and the last time FM employees got a cash bonus was over 10 years ago.

Friday: Exhibit designers christmas party at a tapas restaurant. Plenty of laughs and sangria, not to mention some memorable gag-gift exchanges. I actually ended up with a fantastic book that I've been meaning to buy.


That's Thomas on the left, david in the middle and my boss on the right. They're arguing about the rules of our gift exchange game. Hot item: movie tickets and a $20 bill.

Saturday: Volunteering at a children's holiday party for members of the Chicago Athletic Association. I was supposed to be the face painter, but the face paints and the face paint director never arrived. So instead I helped kids make ornaments. It was a fun but very interesting way to spend a Saturday morning and afternoon. It was completely different than I was expecting because it was completely up-scale. Even though it was a carnival with messy crafts and arcade games (including a money booth with real money!) the kids were dressed in their sunday-best, their parents were in suits and dresses and sipping bloody marys and mimosas. There was a huge buffet lunch with salmon and crab cakes, eggs benedict and spinach and cheese stuffed tortellini, not to mention the array of desserts. Gave me a brief glimpse of the way the other half lives and I'm sure glad I didn't grow up with all that.

No comments: