Sunday, September 3, 2006

Then labor day came and went...and we shed what was left of our summer skin—Death Cab

Labor Day weekend. I time to gather with friends and family to celebrate the final "hoo-ha" of summer. This is it, the summer is unofficially over. When I was younger, the Franken family Labor Day tradition was to go to the Sioux Falls Zoo. I can still remember the entire extended family gathering for a picnic in the nearby park, and then heading into the zoo. Some of my favorite memories of the zoo include the time I rode a camel with Dana (I VIVIDLY remember that because I had to sit on the hump!), the time when a goat got loose from the petting zoo and Dana and I were the ones to catch it, the little stuffed elephant I bought from the gift shop (I named her Asia), and for some reason I remember what t-shirt I was wearing on one particular visit. It said: I'm a KIX kid. Pretty sure that one came from one of those 'send in 4 UPC labels and $2.95 to receive your very own KIX kid T-shirt!' Anyway, I think the reason I remember wearing that shirt is because a picture was taken of me in front of the lions. It's amazing how much of my childhood is remembered only because there was a photo taken of the moment. Kind of makes me wonder how much of my childhood is floating around somewhere, undiscoverd and unremembered just because there wasn't a camera present....

One more reason to encourage everyone to enjoy all the little moments in your life. Every one is precious and it'd be a shame for all of them to disappear in the abyss of time without even acknowledging that they exist.

Think about it....what are your childhood memories? Is that just because there was a camera present?

No comments: