Sunday, October 22, 2006

running chicago

Today was the 29th annual Chicago Marathon. My plan was to wake up around 6:30 so I could meet Becky H and her sister downtown by 8am so we could watch the start of it. Yeah, that didn't happen. Becky called me at 7:59am and i was still in bed. Whoops. It worked out ok though, cuz the runners were scheduled to run right by my apartment around 8:30. So even though I didn't get to see the HUGE mob of runners at the starting line, I was able to cheer the leading runners on around their 8th mile.


The picture is blurry, not because I couldn't hold the camera steady....they were just running that fast. It was pretty incredible. They're from Kenya, where 'who knows what' is in the water.


Here's the lead runner coming into the finish line. We were standing about 50 yards from the actual finish line, but right before he was about to cross it and break through the ribbon, he slipped on the wet street, hit his head and got a mild concussion. They kept replaying it on the big screen right by us, and I'll tell ya what, when you know something like that is coming, it get harder to watch the more times they play it. He's ok now, though he didn't get to stand on the podium during the awards ceremony.

The whole day was pretty inspirational. Even though these guys are obviously professionals, there were a lot of 'normal humans' running (as Becky called them). A surprising number of old people, dads and moms (their kids cheering and holding signs) and women not much older than me. I think I'll be cheering Becky on next year as she's running it, she sounds like she really wants to do it. Go Becky! I'm behind you all the way!

I, however, better just start with the Shamrock Shuffle 8K in March :)

No comments: