Thursday, October 5, 2006

a TRUE underdog...er, bird...story

So this morning I was patiently waiting at the bus stop, minding my own business, and sort of dazing off listening to Imogen heap on my ipod, when out of no where a pigeon swoops down and lands on the sidewalk right in front of me. Apparently there was a piece of bread there, and he began pecking at it. It didn't take long for the rest of the pigeon population at the corner of State and Lake to want their share of the feast. Soon there was a flock of about 14 pigeons battling each other for the rights to the slice of bread. It was quite entertaining for me. Seeing all these clumsy looking birds pecking away at the bread, capturing it in their beak, just to have another pigeon steal it away. What I found even more entertaining was when a tiny little bird, no bigger than my fist joined the flock. At first he just stood outside the circle, hopping in and out, awaiting his chance for some bread. And then, just like that, he got his chance. He got the bread in his tiny little beak and he took off. I saw him fly away while all the pigeons scrambled around trying to find the missing bread.

What a little stinker. He was less than half the size of the pigeons and even though the 'physical' odds were stacked against him, he wasn't afraid to jump in. He had brains, and in the end, that's all he needed. I like that.

No comments: