Sunday, July 16, 2006

movies and such

This weekend was weak....in terms of entertainment and doing stuff. Can't really blame anyone but myself though, i didn't really feel like doing much yesterday or today. Friday night was fun though. Went to dinner and a movie with a co-worker, his finance and his brother. We ate at Big Bowl and saw the movie You, Me & Dupree. Funny movie, borderline dumb funny, but funny nonetheless. Sucks that it costs $10 to see a movie in the city though. Ok, it was only $9.50, I tend to exagerrate things sometimes. It was fun evening though so it was worth it. Plus I got paid last week, so it feels like I have boatloads of money, even though most of it will go towards rent, utilities, and I really need to buy some furniture one of these days. Thinking a futon would be my best bet since I don't have a bed and i don't really have room for a bed and a sofa. Anyone got any suggestions on buying a futon? Any experienced futon shoppers out there??

I feel like venting some more about the heat, but it really won't do any good. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been sweating all day, so I'll spare ya'll the complaining and just say that it sucks.

I watched the movie October Sky today, Rachel let me borrow it from her collection. I think she felt sorry for me when she saw my pathetic collection of 3 DVDs. Anyways, the movie was ok, one of those 'feel-good' type of movies. Lately I've been really critical of the movies that I've been watching. I don't know what has caused it, but i notice things about films that are trivial, and it annoys me. For example. In the movie October Sky, there were times when the camera would focus in on the props or things that the actors/actresses were doing with their hands. I don't know why but it really bothered me. It made me feel uncomfortable, like something bad was about to happen. Maybe it was the whole mood of the scene which encouraged the foreboding feeling, but it was disturbing, unneccessary, and distracting. Similarly, in You, Me & Dupree, there were several scenes that I thought were completely irrelevant to the movie. I hate it when movies have all sorts of tangents and random aspects that do nothing for the film except make it longer than it needs to be. For example, in You, Me & Dupree, there was one random character that was talked about a lot in the film and was apparently a pretty important role (though I think the film would have been fine without her), and we never actually saw the characters face! We would see the back of her head or her leg but never her face. Annoying. This wasn't the only thing about the movie that was distracting for me. There were several details about other characters that were not developed enough to be important. All they did was distract me from the main flow of the plot. I definitely like things to be streamlined, no frills no fuss type of stuff. Maybe that's why I never liked Super Troopers. Anyway, I don't want to talk to much about You, Me & Dupree because if you haven't seen it, you probably wouldn't know what I was talking about, and maybe you want to see it yourself and don't want some chump movie critic like myself ruining it for you. Either way, watch it sometime, and tell me if you know what I'm talking about.

Maybe it's because I took part in a test screening of the movie The Departed (comes out in October) a few weeks ago, my main purpose to analyze the film and let the movie experts know what I thought about the plot, characters, scenes, etc. Though I think I analyzed the movie Over the Hedge the same way....and i saw that before my test audience experience.

1 comment:

Kunnari said...

hey hey hey. i think it's good to be critical of movies- cause there are a lot of bad movies out there. and more and more being made all the time. demand quality!!!