Thursday, July 20, 2006

umbrella reflections

This morning I shared my umbrella with an elderly lady on my way into the museum. I couldn't refuse her the assistance, even though she never asked to be sheltered from the drenching downpour. She claimed to own 3 umbrellas, all of which were, of course, at home. Her husband quietly followed behind us in the rain, not saying a single word until we got into the museum. Then he politely thanked me for helping his wife. It was a feel good moment for me, and I was surprised later in the day when a couple co-workers told me how nice it was of me to share my umbrella with her. I thought, why wouldn't I? Is an umbrella such a prized possession that it is rarely shared with others in the same need? Or is more of the stranger attitude: I don't know you and I'll most likely never see you again, therefore I have no obligation to help you? I admit I've had the stranger attitude before...when I see people running to catch the bus that I'm on, yet I don't tell the bus driver to wait a few more seconds. Or when I shove in front of someone in line at the train station in order to catch the awaiting train, causing them to miss it.

It's no surprise to me that most of these "stranger experiences" happen to me on the CTA, yet that's where I feel the most connected to others...relying on the same thing to get us home or to work or to the store, swaying in the same direction on the turns, losing our balance when it lurches forward or stops suddenly. All of us having the same alert and cautious looks on our faces, appearing to be confident and on guard of everyone other person around us. How easy it is for us to ignore each others needs when we are all concerned with the appearance of others around us.

can anyone relate? or share a similar experience?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like hearing your thought process, and it makes a lot of sense. There needs to be a lot more people to just randomly do nice things for strangers. You never know how your actions will affect the other person and how their good mood will affect others. Cool isn't it?

Sarah said...

You have to change your settings. It's an option you have to activate. Also, the tickets to my gun show are for free!